Thursday, February 09, 2006

Changes at work...

Well....
I have something interesting to discuss that happened to me at work today.
I lost my job, but gained another one the same day.
My boss decided to call us in for a meeting today out of the blue about noontime, not too long before we take off for lunch at 12:30. She says I have something important to tell you all. She goes on to say one of the people working in Merchandise Accounting just got promoted, and so they need someone to replace the position ASAP. The thing is they cannot put up a post for the new opening b/c the CEO is on vacation, and he plays a role in that, so they need to pull someone from one of the departments until he comes back which is 2 weeks I believe.
She then goes on to say that they tried to ask many people in other departments if they could assist for the meantime, but I guess most people are swamped right now. At this point, we are told that our department is now the target, and my boss breaks the news that us that one of us is going to be let go and placed in that department. We are like, WHHHAAATTT?!?!?! I am now thinking...what if it's me?!?! I haven't even been in my department for 6 months, and I am still learning. So finally she says, the name of the person being let go is Heather. I am thinking, freakin figures! The decision was based on who was the most recent person to get hired in the department, and DING, that's me!
My co-worker then asks when I will be starting, and my boss then says tomorrow. Tomorrow?!?! That isn't enough notice! I have not even told my vendors I am leaving, I haven't cleaned up yet, and now I am about to leave?! OY!

Here's the thing though....
1) I am going to the position on a temporary basis, but when the CEO comes back from his vacation, they are going to check my progress, and if they like me, I could get offered the position permanently, and will get a raise b/c this new department is a higher level than the one I am in (or used to be in).
or
2) A posting would go up in a few weeks when the CEO returns, and if they find someone else, I am done, and I can go back to my old position, no questions asked.

What do I do? I really love the group of people I work with, and I really don't want to leave, but if I like this position, I would make more money, and I could definitely use it! I had a rough 4 years with the 1st 4 years working in my old department, and I was loving the people that I work with every day, but now I have to make new friends all over again, job #3. Can I really do that...I am not sure. I guess I will soon find out.

Turns out I had one more surprise as well. I get back from lunch, and about an hour later my boss comes by and says so and so wants to know (my boss's boss's boss who is an asshole, lol) when I am going to start the new position, and once he heard, he instead tells my boss he wants me to start this afternoon once afternoon break is over, which is 3:30! Ahhh...yeaaahh...now I really have no notice. Well I had to do what the big boss said, so I packed up, said goodbye after break, and I went over to my new department to start the new job.

I learned a slight amount today, but most of it went over my head. It's not easy for me to just forget what I was still learning, but I have no choice. Well, here's to a new job anyways. Cheers!

Blogger Antek: WOW... best of luck Heather. You are definately bright and will pick up the odds and ends of the job in no time and with your kick ass personality you will totally make friends in no time.

Congrats on your INTERESTING day. 10:36 PM  

Blogger k o w: Honestly sweetheart I'd start readying the resume to look somewhere else. Any company that would treat it's employees like that won't hesitate on fucking them over even more. 8:57 AM  

Blogger Silver: As much as I'm behind you babe, I agree with Pete on this one. Time to get the resume ready, and look for something much closer to home.

The tolls...eek, and the gas...ouch. Too much money. And you know gas prices are just going to continue north. 12:50 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous: Well, it sounds like you are making the best of it, so that's the bright side. I agree that the company doesn't really sound like it's run very professionally so you might want to think about looking elsewhere. Of course, it's good to pick up new skills, so who knows what might happen? BTW, if you choose to leave, during the interview process, I would be careful as to how to spin this one. I might want to create the impression it was a promotion as opposed to a turnstile... 8:05 AM  

Blogger Red Sox Fanatic: Thanks for your good advice Marie. I was wondering what I would say down the line if and when I leave the company I am in right now.
Well so far the new position seems pretty easy, but if they find someone to replace me, then I am back to square 1, which I wouldn't be sad about. I really love most of the people I was working with.
If I was to get hired, I would get a raise, but if I ended up going back to my old position, I would still be getting my yearly review 6 months later anyway. I just have to wait it out a few weeks and see where it goes. I will keep you and everyone updated. 9:32 PM  

Blogger Chris Bloom: I'm a bit behind the times, but I'm glad this worked out for you in the end. It sounds like a tough position to be faced with, but you toughed it out and it payed off! :) I'm glad things are still looking up. TTYS 2:48 PM